Career Network for student Scientists and Postdocs at Yale

Creating a platform for discussion of scientific careers

How to Radiate Confidence (even when you’re not feeling confident)

I was once asked, “How did you develop your unshakeable confidence?”

This came as a bit of a shock to me because, to be quite frank, I do not always feel confident, and if I do find a little confidence, it is certainly not unshakeable!

At the time, I had no idea how to answer the question because I simply did not agree with the notion, but later it occurred to me that, in others’ opinions, whatever I was doing seemed to convey confidence. So I was very curious to figure out what it was that I was doing that gave off this air of “unshakeable” confidence.

I started to do a lot of self-reflecting and began comparing everything that I was doing to everything that others were doing in the same situation. By trying to take an outsider’s look at myself in comparison to others, I started to realize a few things…

It first started to make sense when I was in a group meeting in which a few very important people were in attendance… I noticed that I behaved quite differently than a few of the other graduate students and postdocs in the room. More importantly, these were things I was doing naturally and unconsciously – I didn’t realize I was doing them until I realized others WEREN’T doing them.

Here are some of the key differences I noticed:

1) Posture – Sit Up Straight

While most of the individuals in attendance seemed to be hunching their shoulders forward, I was sitting with very straight posture – shoulders back, not rounded over, and with my back straight against the back of the chair (i.e. not slouched with my rear end towards the front of the chair causing me to lean back in the chair).

In looking at those who weren’t sitting up straight – as in, those who were adopting a slouched or hunched demeanor – I got the impression that they didn’t want to be there or that they were afraid to be there, and that they were somewhat disinterested in the meeting itself (which could have been viewed as “disrespectful” by others in attendance).

Thus, if I was adopting the opposite posture, I must have been conveying the opposite message – that I wanted to be there, that I wasn’t afraid to be there in the presence of some big-named important individuals, and that I was respectfully paying attention.

2) Chin Height – Avoid Pointing Down

We’ve mentioned this before on the CNSPY blog: http://campuspress-test.yale.edu/cnspy/2015/04/01/what-does-your-body-language-say-about-you/ But we’ll mention it again because it’s that important!

Most of the people in the room who were slouching and hunching forward also had a downward pointing chin – as in, the angle between their chin and their neck was acute, and the end of their chins were pointing towards the floor. In contrast, my chin only pointed down when I needed to write something down in my notebook.

For the majority of the time, my chin was either horizontal to the floor as I looked at and listened to an individual at the table who was speaking or it was pointed upwards slightly as I looked at the presenter (who was standing) or the slides on the screen.

As mentioned in the previous blog (linked above), your chin angle can subtly tell others your place in the hierarchy. If your chin is pointed down, you must inherently look up at others when they speak; thus, they are “above” you, literally and figuratively. If your chin is parallel to the floor, this subconsciously puts everyone on the same level – no one is above or below the other. Finally, if your chin is pointed up, you must tilt your eyes downward (thus, looking down on someone) in order to see them when they speak, which suggests to the other person that you feel you are “above” them.

Note though, that an upward chin angle when you are sitting and the other person is standing is natural and, thus, completely acceptable – it doesn’t portray that you are above them, it simply shows that you are listening and paying attention.

However, regardless of whether you are standing or sitting, having a downward pointed chin still conveys that you are beneath the other person and that you are intimidated by their presence. Giving others the impression that you are afraid or intimidated certainly doesn’t portray confidence.

Thus, with my horizontal or upward tilted chin, I suppose I appeared more confident than others in the room who had a downward pointing chin angle.

3) Lean In – Physically 

Another thing I did differently was that while most individuals remained slouched or leaned back in their chairs, I often leaned forward during important parts of the discussion, either to listen more closely or to offer a comment myself.

Last week, our guest blogger, Dianna Bartel, discussed some important aspects of “non-verbal listening,” which can also help you radiate confidence in certain contexts. In her blog post, she mentioned that leaning forward while listening shows attentiveness to your speaker. http://campuspress-test.yale.edu/cnspy/2015/04/22/the-other-half-of-communicating-effectively-listening/

In addition to attentiveness, leaning or sitting forward (and perhaps leaning on the table in some cases) during a discussion can also demonstrate that you are not intimidated by the big wigs, that you are not afraid to actively partake in the conversation, and that you feel your participation in the discussion is warranted and valuable and should be treated as such. All of these things inherently convey confidence.

4) “Lean In” – Figuratively

Yes, I am referring to Sheryl Sandberg’s version of “Lean In” here. If you haven’t yet read her book, Lean In, I highly recommend that you do so, and that goes for men AND women.

It is not a “woman-book” as some people perceive it to be. The advice she provides is applicable to both genders and, specifically, to anyone who is trying to get ahead in their field and make a name for themselves. If you fall into this category, then do not be fooled, this book IS indeed for you!

Now, back to main point of the blog post…. In this meeting, I noticed that I was one of the few people sitting at the table who wasn’t a PI or an Industry representative.

One way that Sandberg suggests that we “lean in” is to sit AT the table. Often times, graduate students and postdocs will take a back seat in big meetings, offering the chairs at the table to the ‘important’ people. But guess what? By doing so, you are telling everyone else that you are NOT important, as you don’t qualify as a table-sitter. Just like the angle of your chin, this is another subtle cue telling others that you are beneath them.

If you were invited (or told) to come to the meeting, you have every right to sit at the table, and by doing so, you are telling others that you are valuable enough and important enough to be there, so you best with treated with similar respect as the big wigs.

Additionally, another way to figuratively “lean in” is to actually speak up. Regardless of where you are in the room, offer a comment. Let your voice be heard. And do it without waffling around…

None of this: “Um, if I could say something? … Ok… uh… well… I was just thinking that XYZ could be done this way perhaps, and it might help us.”

No, say what you have to offer without the cushion words that undermine your statement. For example: “Why don’t we try doing XYZ this way? This could save us time, money, and resources.”

There is an obvious difference in the level of confidence conveyed in each of the above statements. But aside from deciding which way to say it, AT LEAST SAY IT!

In the meeting I’m referencing here, I was one of the few people, if not the only person, in the ‘graduate students and postdocs’ category of attendees that spoke up and said anything at all during the meeting. I’m sure this had something to do with others thinking that I was actually more confident than I really was… even though, deep down, I was as nervous as ever!

Again, if you were invited to the meeting, your knowledge and opinions are valued, and should feel comfortable enough to speak up. And when you do, lose the fluff words. Say what you mean, and say it directly.

These figurative “leaning in” tactics – sitting at the table, speaking up, and speaking directly and definitively – will inherently make you appear more confident even if you are feeling a bit intimidated by your surroundings.

5) Attire – Dress the Part

The last thing I noticed at this meeting that really struck me was my attire. While scientists can often get away with an “anything goes” policy, there are times and places when a slightly nicer attire can make the biggest difference.

Knowing that we had a big meeting with Industry representatives who were deciding whether or not to provide our lab with serious funding for a particular project, I took it upon myself to step up my typical ‘jeans-and-shirt’ standard laboratory dresscode and wore a collared shirt with a pair of black dress pants that day.

In the lab, this outfit certainly seemed out of place, but in the room with many PIs and Industry representatives, most of whom were wearing suits or donning business-casual outfits, I looked like I very much belonged there. On the other hand, the graduate students and postdocs who wore their typical lab attire looked as though they felt the meeting wasn’t important enough to warrant a little nicer dresscode.

I can’t say for sure, but I suspect that I was taken slightly more seriously that day due to the way I dressed. Thus, sitting at the table and offering fluff-free comments didn’t seem so out of place to the big wigs (despite that I was merely a postdoc, not a PI), and I probably gave them the impression that I was indeed an important member of the lab. And to think… all I had to do to earn that respect was change my clothes.

As they say, “Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.”

Together, all of these things (1-5 above) most likely contributed to the air of “unshakeable confidence” that I seemed to give off. However, to me, I believed I was simply being respectful by sitting up straight, leaning forward, listening attentively, and dressing appropriately. Similarly, I felt that I was simply being helpful and constructive by offering comments and suggestions in the meeting. Little did I realize that doing these things made me appear more confident than I may have actually felt at the time.

Thus, going forward I have tried to make a conscious effort to ensure that I don’t forget to do these things at future meetings, networking events, national research conferences, small group discussions, etc.

I firmly believe that you can command respect by dressing the part and changing a few little behaviors that make a big difference. Importantly, this starts a wonderful cycle… as you portray more confidence and command respect, you are eventually given more respect. Once that happens, you will become more confident, and the cycle perpetuates itself. So, while you might initially adopt these strategies to convey a level of confidence that you may not yet have, by making these behaviors part of your routine, you will eventually become more confident naturally. 🙂

Act like you belong, and you will.

** Try these techniques and let us know if it boosts your confidence levels! **

Share your thoughts below by clicking the “Leave a Reply” link or by clicking the chat bubble in the top right of the post.

28 Comments

1. I cannot agree with you more about dressing the part. We like to think that it should only be what’s inside that matters, but the reality is that appearance does matter. And how we dress reflects our position and attitude. Think the pope would have as much respect if he wandered around in jeans and a t-shirt? What if the airline pilot meandered into the cockpit in a bermuda shirt and shorts? I would have had serious doubts if I arrived at my surgery consultation to find my surgeon sporting jeans and a t-shirt. While scientists do not have a ‘uniform’ like these examples, the principle is the same. Lawyers do not have a uniform per se but not show up to court in cargo pants either. Yep, how we dress reflects our attitude we can’t help but feel more confident when dressed the part!

• Metro Vancouver and its surrounding areas are not just geographical locations; they are vibrant communities bustling with diverse services catering to every need. From scrap car removal to psychic readings, from yoga retreats to plumbing services, this article will take you on a journey through the plethora of offerings available in the region. We’ll explore the bustling city life of Vancouver, the suburban tranquility of Surrey and Maple Ridge, the natural beauty of Squamish, and the cultural richness of Langley. So, whether you’re looking to declutter your driveway, gain insight into your future, or simply relax and rejuvenate, there’s something for everyone in Metro Vancouver and its neighboring communities.

Scrap Car Removal: Clearing Space with Ease

If you’re like many residents in Metro Vancouver, you may have an old, unwanted vehicle taking up valuable space in your driveway or garage. Fortunately, there are numerous scrap car removal services available to help you clear out that space and even earn some cash in the process. Whether you’re in the heart of Vancouver or nestled in the suburbs of Surrey or Burnaby, you can find local companies offering hassle-free scrap car removal. Simply give them a call, and they’ll come to tow away your old vehicle, leaving you with a clutter-free space and a little extra money in your pocket.

Psychics: Seeking Clarity in Metro Vancouver

In a fast-paced world filled with uncertainties, many residents of Metro Vancouver turn to psychics for guidance and insight into their lives. Whether you’re facing career decisions, relationship dilemmas, or simply seeking spiritual enlightenment, there are talented psychics throughout the region ready to assist you. From the bustling streets of Vancouver to the serene neighborhoods of Surrey and Maple Ridge, psychic readers offer a range of services, including tarot card readings, palmistry, and aura readings. Take a step toward clarity and visit a psychic in your local area today.

Yoga Retreats in Mexico: A Journey of Transformation

For those seeking a deeper connection with themselves and the world around them, a yoga retreat in Mexico offers the perfect opportunity for relaxation, rejuvenation, and self-discovery. Picture yourself surrounded by the stunning natural beauty of Mexico, practicing yoga on pristine beaches, exploring ancient ruins, and connecting with like-minded individuals from around the globe. From the tranquil shores of Tulum to the mystical mountains of Oaxaca, Mexico’s yoga retreats offer a transformative experience that nourishes the body, mind, and soul.

Plumbers: Keeping Metro Vancouver Flowing Smoothly

From leaky faucets to clogged drains, plumbing issues can disrupt the flow of daily life. That’s why it’s essential to have reliable plumbers you can count on to keep your home or business running smoothly. Whether you’re in Vancouver, Burnaby, or Squamish, there are skilled plumbers available to tackle any plumbing problem you may encounter. From routine maintenance to emergency repairs, these professionals have the knowledge and expertise to get the job done right the first time, so you can enjoy peace of mind knowing your plumbing is in good hands.

Optometrists: Seeing Clearly in Metro Vancouver

Good vision is essential for navigating the world around us, which is why regular eye exams are crucial for maintaining eye health. In Metro Vancouver, there are numerous optometrists and optometry clinics offering comprehensive eye care services for patients of all ages. Whether you’re due for a routine check-up or experiencing vision problems, these professionals can provide personalized care to help you see clearly and maintain optimal eye health. So, whether you’re in Vancouver, Langley, or Maple Ridge, schedule your eye exam today and prioritize your vision health.

Cash for Cars: Turning Clunkers into Cash

If you have an old car sitting unused in your driveway, why not turn it into cash? In Metro Vancouver, there are companies offering cash for cars, making it easy to sell your old vehicle and put some extra money in your pocket. Whether your car is in working condition or not, these companies will make you an offer and tow it away for free. So, if you’re in Vancouver, Surrey, or Burnaby, why let that old car continue to take up space? Turn it into cash today with a local cash for cars service.

Plumbing Services: Keeping Homes Flowing Smoothly

From leaky faucets to burst pipes, plumbing issues can wreak havoc on a home’s functionality and comfort. That’s why it’s crucial to have access to reliable plumbing services in your local area. Whether you’re in the heart of Vancouver, the suburbs of Surrey, or the scenic surroundings of Squamish, there are skilled plumbers available to address any plumbing problem you may encounter. From routine maintenance to emergency repairs, these professionals have the expertise and equipment to keep your home’s plumbing system running smoothly.

Canadian Pharmacies: Accessible Healthcare Solutions

In Canada, access to prescription medications is essential for maintaining health and well-being. Fortunately, there are numerous Canadian pharmacies throughout Metro Vancouver and its surrounding areas, providing residents with convenient access to essential medications and healthcare products. Whether you’re in Vancouver, Burnaby, or Langley, you can find a local pharmacy offering a wide range of prescription medications, over-the-counter products, and healthcare services. With friendly staff and convenient locations, Canadian pharmacies are committed to providing accessible healthcare solutions for all.

Conclusion:

Metro Vancouver and its surrounding areas are teeming with a diverse array of services to meet the needs of residents and visitors alike. From scrap car removal to psychic readings, yoga retreats to plumbing services, there’s something for everyone in this vibrant region. Whether you’re looking to declutter your space, gain insight into your future, or simply relax and rejuvenate, you’ll find the perfect solution in Metro Vancouver and its neighboring communities. So, whether you’re in Vancouver, Surrey, Burnaby, or beyond, explore all that this dynamic region has to offer and embark on a journey of wellness and self-discovery.

• In a fast-paced world filled with stress and distractions, finding moments of peace and serenity can feel like a luxury. Yet, nestled amidst the chaos of modern life, yoga retreats offer a sanctuary for individuals to reconnect with themselves, rejuvenate their spirits, and cultivate a deeper sense of well-being. In this immersive exploration, we delve into the transformative world of yoga retreats, uncovering the myriad benefits, diverse offerings, and life-changing experiences that await those who embark on this journey of self-discovery. yoga retreat Mexico 2024

2. Victoria Schulman

May 5, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I love your examples!! They really put “dressing the part” into perspective. It really is an important part of putting your best self forward. I believe it gives others confidence in you when you dress the part. I know I’d be a little nervous if the pilot of my plane or the doctor overseeing my surgery looked like he didn’t care much about his job! Excellent points! Thanks for bringing up such great examples!!!

3. He emphasizes that industry is looking for problem solvers and whether you have prior industrial experience won’t affect your standing as long as you can prove with examples that you can and have solved problems before!
    https://www.mywatchesuk.com/

4. Taking the DG customer survey is beneficial for several reasons:

1. It lets you provide feedback about your shopping experience, helping DG improve its services.
    2. By completing the survey at DgCustomersfirst’s official website https://www.dgcustomerfirstgiftcards.com/ you become eligible to enter sweepstakes, where you could win a $100 DG gift card.
    3. The survey shows you are an engaged customer, which may lead to future promotional offers or discounts.
    4. Overall, sharing your thoughts and enjoying rewards is a great opportunity.

5. orologi replica rolex SA è stata fondata nel 1905 da Hans Wilsdorf e dal fratellastro Alfred Davis. Nonostante sia una delle più grandi aziende orologiere svizzere, Wilsdorf è tedesca e la prima ha sede a Londra.

6. All finishing work on the main plate and bridges, luxury replica watches are by hand to achieve the highest possible levels of surface finish. The screws and all steel parts are finished and polished by hand. The titanium case is made by the workshop that Voutilainen helped establish

7. Karya Bintang Abadi

December 1, 2023 at 11:30 pm

Great web site you have here.. It’s hard to find high-quality writing like yours these days. I really appreciate people like you! Take care!!
    Karya Bintang Abadi

8. Your post captivated me with its eloquent prose and insightful perspectives. Each word carried weight, inviting introspection and sparking curiosity. HRM Dissertations Thank you for sharing such a thought-provoking piece that left me pondering long after reading.

9. Talk To Food Lion Survey

January 3, 2024 at 8:31 am

Talk To Food Lion Survey– By answering this survey, you will provide valuable input to the business. The business uses this data to enhance customer support and create better products. You will be placed into a drawing to win one of ten $500 Food Lion gift cards after completing the survey

10. Effective ways to build the currency of trust between suppliers and consumers are through Lowes Survey . Numerous US-based and international businesses survey their customers to get their opinions.

11. Official Kroger Feedback Survey

January 5, 2024 at 7:38 am

Official Kroger Feedback Survey – Welcome to the guide for the Kroger feedback survey. To successfully complete the Official Kroger Feedback Survey, get 50 Fuel Points, and enter to win a $1000 grand prize, follow the instructions below.

12. That is now available online through gift card shop. If all this data ends up in the hands of hackers, that’s a problem.

13. We provide assistance with mywifiext.net. Our team is dedicated to helping you navigate and resolve any issues, ensuring seamless access to your extender settings. Count on us for expert support

14. Niveeta Design

March 17, 2024 at 1:21 pm

Best in class… very nice blog Great Job office Designers in Delhi

15. Office Furniture

March 17, 2024 at 1:23 pm

Best Blog and great Details Carry on Modular Workstations Delhi

16. Best contents in Blog Cabin Glass Wall Delhi

17. Looking to business setup in bahrain ? Our expert consultants offer top-notch services for business setup consultants in Dubai, licensing, visas and more.

18. Discover a trusted way to https://besterfuhrerschein.com/ Our service offers you a safe and discreet solution to get your driver’s license legally and reliably. Avoid risk and fraudulent offers – we put integrity and quality first. With our professional approach, you can take the stress out of getting your driver’s license. Open up new opportunities on the road without having to pay upfront.

19. ✔️✔️✔️✔️BUY UV LIGHT UNDETECTABLE AED, SGD, KWT, USD, CUD, INR, UK BANK NOTES FOR SALE only .Telegram: +33 6 77 25 70 29
    We print and sell Grade A banknotes of over 52 currencies in the world
    Our bills by pass the latest money detector machines such as the pen test ad UV light and even eye detection by counterfeit experts
    . We also produces the new Plastic Polymer bills of Canada and UK 5 10 and 20 pound notes and Clean back notes of all currency. Our notes are simply the best.
    ✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️Services Provided✔️✔️ ✔️✔️✔️✔️
    -Black notes Cleaning
    -Drivers Licenses
    -Passport’s
    -ID ‘s -Visa’s
    -UN Emigration Forms
    WHERE CAN YOU SPEND THE MONEY? MC DONALD’S, SHOPS, SUPERMARKETS, PETROL SHOPS, ATM, BANKS, SHOPPING MALLS, TAXI, Video Purposes
    Grade AA+ Counterfeit(EUR)-ZAR-AED-AUD-CHF-MYR-CAD-CNY-USD-THB
    Quality undetectable ATM bank notes £,$,€:Telegram: +33 6 77 25 70 29
    ✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️ Contact Numbers Of Different Production Centers✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️
    WHATSAPP#(+27(838-80-8170)
    Skype ID: Etsglobal
    Viber/Telegram: +33 6 77 25 70 29
    Email> testduolingo6@gmail.com

20. 123vip เครดิตฟรี

May 12, 2024 at 11:01 pm

The details of this message are very good and thanks for the information.
    123vip เครดิต ฟรี

21. game nổ hũ quốc tế

May 14, 2024 at 2:44 am

I admire your ability to tackle such complex topics with precision and grace. game nổ hũ quốc tế

22. ติดต่อคาสิโนคลิปโต

May 15, 2024 at 11:40 pm

I found here very Good Information thanks so much for sharing. ติดต่อคาสิโนคลิปโต

23. สอบถามเว็บหวยออมสิน

May 16, 2024 at 3:21 am

Great Article. I really like your blog. Keep sharing more. สอบถามเว็บหวยออมสิน Its really the best article!.

24. 123plus เข้าสู่ระบบ

May 18, 2024 at 12:07 am

Great article. The information gained through the article is impeccable. Thanks for the information you provided.
    123plus เข้าสู่ระบบ